Creativity is something that has to be nurtured from the very beginning. Even if your kid wouldn’t pursue a creative career when he or she grows up, having an imaginative outlook in life is important. Why is that? Creativity is not restricted to only doing a creative job or becoming an artist, it can help at problem-solving as well and thus some level of creativity is required by every human being.
Here are 7 ways to induce creativity in your kids.
1. Space for creativity– Make a space where your child can be creative is important. That doesn’t mean you need to give them a fancy playroom. A creative space could be a tiny corner, the key is your kids should feel like they have power over their space. To make their space creative, you can furbish their bedrooms or play areas with decals and wall stickers.
2. Make it simple– Just like you don’t need an elaborate play area, you don’t need the latest toys either. Child psychologists suggest keeping simple games and activities. Following the instructions of simple activities help the kids let the wings of their imagination open up and build what they want.
3. Freetime– Apart from engaging your kids in creative activities, it is also important to give them some downtime as well. Let them spend a few hours at home without any activities scheduled, so that they can just play around.
4. Let them activate their senses– You should let your kids exposed to your to the world so they can use all of their senses. Plan a trip to the library, museum and outdoors.
5. Discuss creativity– Ask your kids to come up with the best ideas on different topics. Jot them down on a notebook or an iPad. Discuss with them how they gathered these ideas and try to make them better by adding suggestions.
6. Cultivate creative thinking– As your kids grow, try to understand how they approach certain problems and how they can do things differently to make them easier. You could brainstorm with them to generate ideas.
7. Let your kids pursue their passion– You should pay attention to your child’s interests. Make the materials and activities of their interests available to them. This would harbour creativity in them.
Nurturing creativity at a young age could help your kids move ahead quickly.